Partner - Dispute Resolution
Litigation | Arbitration | Aviation and Airports
Milanka Chaudhury is a Partner in the Disputes practice Trilegal.
He is a renowned name in the legal industry with more than two decades of diverse experience in Litigation and Arbitration and has handled multiple headline-making disputes over the course of his career.
Considered one of India’s foremost lawyers on issues concerning aviation and airports, particularly disputes in the regulatory sphere. He routinely represents airport operators, airlines and concessionaires before the AERA Appellate Tribunal and the Supreme Court. He also has wide experience in handling regulatory authorities such as AERA and DGCA in the aviation sphere.
Milanka has also handled arbitrations conducted under multiple rules and laws, before major global institutions and for a, and advises clients on conservancy and provisional measures during proceedings.
Over the years, he has gained experience in handling arbitrations conducted under the rules of the International Chamber of Commerce, Indian Council of Arbitration, Zurich Chambers of Commerce, Singapore International Arbitration Centre, London Court of International Arbitration and other similar associations and institutions.
- Campus Law Centre, University of Delhi
Select representative clients/matters
GMR Infrastructure Ltd (Consortium)
- Represented GMR in a Writ Petition filed by Reliance Airports Developers Private Limited challenging the contract awarded by the Airports Authority of India to GMR for carrying out the modernization and restructuring work of the IGI Airport at New Delhi.
- Represented Spicejet in civil writ proceedings before the High Court of Delhi filed by aircraft lessors AWAS 39423 Ireland, Wilmington Trust SP Services (Dublin) Limited and NBB 37366 Lease Partnership.
Delhi International Airport Ltd (DIAL)
- Advising and representing DIAL before the TDSAT and Supreme Court in the matter of determination of aeronautical tariff for Indira Gandhi International Airport, New Delhi (IGI Airport) as well as other commercial disputes
GMR Hyderabad International Airport Ltd
- Advising and Representing GMR Hyderabad International Airport Limited before TDSAT in the matter of determination of aeronautical tariff in respect of Rajiv Gandhi International Airport, Hyderabad for the second control period
Noida International Airport Ltd
- Advising Yamuna International Airport Private Limited, the concessionaire for establishment of greenfield airport in Noida at Jewar on DBFOT basis.
Indian Oil Skytanking Ltd
- Advised IOSL on determination of aeronautical tariffs for the period FY2020-21 to FY 2025-26 instead of the ‘light touch approach’ at Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport, Mumbai.
Delhi Aviation Fuel Facility Pvt. Ltd
- Represented Delhi Aviation Fuel Facility Pvt. Limited, the sole fuel farm operator at Indira Gandhi International Airport – New Delhi, before TDSAT and Supreme Court in the matter of determination of Fuel Infrastructure Charges.
GMR GOA Airport Ltd
- Advising in the competitive bidding process for establishment of an airport at Mopa in the State of Goa on DBFOT basis.
Bangalore International Airport Ltd
- Advised BIAL in relation to the tender process for selection of a contractor to construct a new runway and terminal at Kempegowda International Airport, Bengaluru.
GMR Malé International Airport
- Represented GMR in an arbitration in Singapore under the UNCITRAL Rules, initiated against the Maldives Airports Development Company under the Concession Agreement for development of airport at Malé, Maldives.
REpower Systems (Suzlon Energy)
- Represented REpower in an arbitration in Zurich before the Zurich Chambers of Commerce, filed by Essar against termination of a Technology License Agreement by REpower.
- Represented WAPCOS in matters before the Supreme Court and the Delhi High Court- in dispute relating to EPC Agreement- Afghan-India Friendship Dam in Afghanistan.
Alstom Transport India Ltd
- Represented Alstom in a writ petition before the Allahabad High Court, filed by the unsuccessful bidders challenging the award of contract to Alstom by the Lucknow Metro Rail Corporation.
- Amongst India’s Top 30 Disputes Lawyers- Asian Legal Business India, 2020
- Recommended Lawyer – Dispute Resolution: Litigation, The Legal 500 – 2020, 2021